Tuesday 25 November 2008

Super Christians, Schmuper Christians

With apologies to the original author:
Alone and disillusioned from pretending I was free,
Powerless to change my life, to leave this misery.
But then I think about him, of his love, how can it be
That he would die and rise again and choose to live in me.

To be filled with his own presence and peace I do not know:
Bound by pain and sorrow I bow before his throne.
I find what I am seeking and I know that I am free
for I can do all things he asks by his power at work in me.

Christ in me, the hope of Glory:
Christ in me, the mystery:
Christ in me, God’s greatest story.

Brought to life at Calvary,
He’s my joy eternally
(Through his grace this I can see).
All because of Christ in me.
Why must we all be super-Christians ... why can't we admit to struggling? The message of the gospel is not so feeble that it withers in the face of reality!
Why do we not have the courage to sing “Bound by pain and sorrow I bow before his throne”? Why in our hymnary are we always “Unbound”? Sure, we leave with freedom, but do we always come that way? I don’t.

Lord, teach us honesty in worship.

No comments: