Tuesday 20 May 2008

the faith of doubting Thomas

STANDOUT VERSE- John 11:16
Thomas, nicknamed the Twin, said to his fellow disciples, “Let’s go, too – and die with Jesus.”


Jesus and the disciples had only just escaped from an angry mob in Jerusalem that had been trying to stone them for blasphemy. To return was asking for trouble and Lazarus lived just a few miles away and the people of Jerusalem had come to comfort Mary and Martha. Thomas is perhaps best known for his doubting. Not being there when Jesus appeared in the upper room, he was reluctant to believe in Jesus’ resurrection. Yet here, immediately after witnessing Lazarus’ resurrection, Thomas makes a statement of great faith and commitment.
The other disciples, including those whom who we applaud for their great courage, tried to talk Jesus out of this course of action yet the only one who has faith is doubting Thomas. He remembers the voice that spoke and wonders what may have changed since he first heard Jesus say, “Follow me!” He knew his call. Does Jesus need to say it again just because times have gotten hard, as if that first call only applied to the good times? Does He first call, “Follow me when times are best!” and later “Follow me through the mildly irritating!” Does the call to discipleship slowly ramp up to a climax of “Follow me to a fiery furnace, to battle a giant, to a cross: to death!” Is sacrifice only for the spiritually mature?

When I responded to the call “Follow me!” nothing more was said. The way ahead was unknown and all I knew was that Jesus would be there on the road ahead – the great shepherd, whose voice I would come to know better gathering me in and walking before. And right then I needed to know nothing else. Sometimes, like the other disciples and as time has gone on, I want to know more and I choose to imagine that I responded to more than those two words.

And doubting Thomas’ faith shames me.

Lord give me the faith of doubting Thomas and as I walk into today may I go, prepared even to die with Jesus.

No comments: