Wednesday 7 May 2008

which do you follow

John 5:39-40
You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to me! Yet you refuse to come to me to receive this life.

Sin can be very subtle in its starting form. I recently recorded a TV programme called Jesus Camp which I have been watching. It came with a health warning to those who watched it that they may find some scenes disturbing. They were right for me, though perhaps for different reasons. Among the things that disturbed me was an American family who, as well as the daily pledge of allegiance to the American flag also said a pledge of allegiance to the bible: “I pledge allegiance to the Bible, God's Holy Word, I will make it a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path and will hide its words in my heart that I might not sin against God.” Is this a nice touch – teaching them patriotism and godliness or is it bibliolatry? Is it selling out and seeking to model faith on secular culture or is it an incarnational reinvention?

As part of my daily worship I also saw the video below, which reminded me that incarnation is not about reinventing and compromising faith to fit into contemporary culture selling out, but is getting down and dirty: making the move to be amongst and one of whilst yet retaining purity and modelling holiness in the midst.

That TV programme also showed me (an adult – I didn’t like it’s presentation style to young children) an illustration of sin. A minister said that when we first come across it its can seem quite attractive - perhaps even cute, cuddly and harmless – like a lion cub. You can see where the rest of the illustration goes. Retaining that purity and finding holiness is therefore not easy but it is impossible if, as with those Jesus was speaking to, we become so involved in religion that we miss Christ.

To be like Jesus!
This hope possesses me,
In every thought and deed,
this is my aim, my creed;
To be like Jesus!
This hope possesses me,
His Spirit helping me,
Like him I'll be.


No comments: