Friday 11 January 2008

Never forget ...

STANDOUT PASSAGE - PROVERBS 3:3-6
My child, never forget … Never let loyalty and kindness leave you! …Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.

How many times do we decide that we have found “the answer” and set out on our own course without having ever prayed about it? And how often does this decision deny such basic principles as loyalty and kindness and ignore God’s guidance, voice and will? Certainly it is too often for me … and no matter how rare, if it is ever, it is too often for you … and even when I realise this I persuade myself that God gave me the ability to reason for a purpose. And this is true – he did. But this purpose was not so that I may “go it alone.” I need to realise that my reasoning is just as fallen, just as sinful, as the rest of my being. It needs turning over to God and it needs sanctifying.

Notes from the NLT Life Application Study Bible (Rebekah):
When thinking about a course of action, are you simply seeking God’s stamp of approval on something you’ve already decided to do? Or are you willing to set the plan aside if the principles and commands of God’s word are against the action?
And this sanctification is not a rubber stamp on the decision but the watermark that existed before the thought began. It cannot be. It must not be. For me, too often, it is. I need to learn to seek in all that I do and to trust with all my heart.

Lord, put your ways in my mind and write them deep in my heart. In all things may I trust you and in all things may I seek your will. May I never forget.

No comments: