Saturday 5 January 2008

No more unicorns

STANDOUT VERSE - GENESIS 8:20
Then Noah built an altar to the Lord, and there he sacrificed as burnt offerings the animals and birds that had been approved for that purpose.

Blast!” said Noah as he watched the smoke from the burnt offerings ascend into the heavens, “they were the last unicorns.

Even as I compose that sentence I can see that it is an old joke. Noah leaves the ark and is so grateful for the survival of himself and of his family that he simply has to give thanks for his salvation, and he does so in the culturally accepted way, in the only way he knows, and offers a sacrifice to God. This offering was not demanded of Noah, it was not requested or suggested, but flowed freely from the heart of one who has recognised the mighty act of a loving God. It was natural and spontaneous with little thought for the consequences. Even one sacrifice of the last female (or male) animal could mean extinction for a species they had worked so hard to save. Yet we see no futility in the ark – no animal was saved from the flood simply to be brought to extinction as the waters receded, for of the animals fit for sacrifice God had ordered that seven pairs be taken. Previously I had given this little thought and had most likely made the ridiculous assumption that this was due to some special (what a great use of this word!) favouritism. So why?

God would have known the desire of Noah to worship Him and so He makes provision for Noah’s worship and for his sacrifice. God gave to the new postdiluvian world more than was strictly necessary in order that man could offer back to God. And he does the same today, and has done so for me. I have more than I need (though due to my appetites often less than want) and so of my abundance I can give back and give away.

Lord God, thank you for all that you have done for me and for all that you give to me. Teach me to sacrifice.

No comments: